Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Dysfunctional Bunny

Any psychiatrist could to tell you this is where it all started to go downhill... My mother was a very crafty woman. I guess in the mid 70's there weren't costume shops like we have today. Yeah, she could have gotten away with the good ole plastic mask and plastic costume, but not for her special little girl! My mother made this costume with her bare hands! When you think of a bunny costume, you think "Ah, warm, fuzzy and soft, perfect for a Long Island Halloween! Your mother was a genius!". Not so fast cowboy... that sucker was like a burlap sack on the inside, I couldn't wear much under it even though it was 40 degrees outside. This thing may as well have been a Hefty bag! It was anything but breathable, must have been made from polyester - what wasn't in the 70's? So, me being the naive blond, I though this outfit was awesome! If I remember correctly, she also made me a carrot bag to put my candy in - yeah, I was the shit. I remember getting ready to head out to gather my sugary loot when my mother informed me that it was raining outside. Really? WTF? WHY does it always rain on Halloween?!? Can you guess what she did next? She had one more piece to my costume that I was not expecting... plastic baggies. Yup, you got it, I had to wear plastic baggies over my feet so my costume didn't get wet. Yes, she even made the feet fur too. I was a hot sweaty mess before we got to the end of the driveway!

That costume hung in my closet for years. I have no idea why I wanted to keep the terrible thing. I probably didn't give a shit, but my mother probably wouldn't let me get rid of it. That would be one of those things that she would have held onto for the rest of my life (just in case)

*Update! I just learned that my mother still has this costume... holy shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment